July 11, 2011

Zazu

Saturday night hubs and I had date night up in Santa Rosa. We went to one of my favorite spots, Zazu.


I love this place because it's charming, the food is fabulous and inventive and it's in the middle of nowhere (or at least that's what it seems like to me). I always feel like I am on vacation in the country when we visit.

The menu is seasonal and there are lots and lots of pork products...if that's your thing. We shared the slow roasted pork shoulder and it was mmmm good.


They also have Navarro Pinot Noir grape juice on the menu (note my glass of red "wine" below : ). This totally non-alcoholic, but feels like you are sipping on wine with dinner beverage is one of my pregnancy musts. As a matter of fact, I ordered a case of Navarro wines when I found out I was pregnant - half wine for hubs and half grape juice (Pinot Noir and Gewurtzraminer) for me!


We rushed through our fried squash blossoms with buttermilk ranch (um, yeah, really) because we were very anxious to get to dessert. We had been lucky enough to get an impromptu ultrasound Saturday afternoon and we had a SEALED envelope with us that told us whether we were having a boy or a girl! Hubs asked for dessert menus before the waitress even offered and we proceeded to ask for the panna cotta with raspberry sauce for a girl and yummy sounding chocolate dessert for a boy (nothing blue on the menu - but we didn't let that foil our plan). We handed over our envelope and pretty much sat in silence while we waited for our dessert to come out. At one point I asked, "how about them Giants" - my attempt at a joke...I couldn't care less. Hubs practically jumped out of his seat when the waitress brought over our dessert spoons and forks. After what seemed like an eternity, a chef came out with our dessert behind her back. She proceeded to tell us that she had one of these at home and it is wonderful (as I was leaning around her to peek, of course)...

And without further ado, she handed over our dessert....


We are very happy and excited!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Congrats Danielle, that's sooo exciting! Love that idea, how creative!